A while back now, I organised a bake sale at work for Red Nose Day. I made the theme 'colour' instead of simply 'red' to encourage everyone to get involved! And I think it worked...Well I got super excited about it anyway!
There were so many fabulous cakes and bakes, completely full of wonderful colours (and E numbers!).
I decided to make cupcakes, topped with rainbow icing. I'd seen a picture when flicking through Instagram, and seen multi-coloured icing. And I can't believe I'd never thought about doing this until then! What a wonderful idea -
And it was pretty simple.
500g Icing Sugar
160g Butter (at room temp)
A splash of whole milk
A few drops of vanilla essence
As many colours as you have in the cupboard!
1. Make your butter icing. To see how to make vanilla butter cream, take a look at the recipe here.
2. Separate your butter icing into 5/6 bowls. (This is dependant on how many colours you have or want to use).
3. Mix the icing with the colours - each colour for a separate bowl.
4. Take a spoon of each icing mix, and line your piping bag with it. This will look like a blobbed mess, but trust me you're doing it right!
5. Pipe the icing onto your cake or cupcakes.
Your icing should come out rainbow-like and look amazing! I like to top mine with sprinkles, or even glitter would be better, to finish it off.